ACCESS Mentorship Program
Presented by Beach House Pictures
An opportunity no early-career practitioner can afford to miss!
AIDC’s early career mentorship program ACCESS is back for 2018, proudly presented in collaboration for a second year with Singapore-based international production company Beach House Pictures.
The ACCESS program is a unique opportunity for new filmmakers to enhance their passion for creating innovative screen content, further develop career pathways, and be mentored by talented and insightful industry professionals from around the world.
“By far the highlight of my filmmaking career to-date. To be learning from the world’s best documentarians, alongside other aspiring creatives, made for the perfect learning experience. I feel like doors really have flung open, waiting for me to take full advantage of each and every opportunity.”
Charby Ibrahim, ACCESS winner 2017.
AIDC is now seeking applications from dedicated and hardworking new creatives who are keen for a leg-up into the documentary, factual and unscripted screen content industry.
Six early-career film practitioners will be selected to participate in a coveted four-day mentorship program during AIDC. The program provides participants with exclusive access to some of the world’s most high-profile and accomplished industry professionals working in documentary and factual storytelling. At least one placement will be guaranteed for a regional documentary filmmaker.
Previous mentors have included Australian director Jennifer Peedom (Mountain, Sherpa), UK producer John Battsek (One Day In September, Searching For Sugarman), Producer Marc Smerling (The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, Capturing the Friedmans) and Ezra Edelman, Director of the 2017 Academy Award-winning Documentary, O.J.: Made In America.
Our growing list of mentors includes:
Kitty Green (Director, Casting JonBenet)
Sara Ramsden (Creative Director, Love Productions UK)
Violeta Ayala (Director, Writer & Producer, United Notions Film)
Daniel Fallshaw (Producer, DOP & Editor, United Notions Film)
...with more to be announced in the coming weeks.
THE ACCESS PRIZE
In addition to once-in-a-lifetime mentoring sessions during the conference, one participant will be selected for a four-week paid internship with award-winning production company Beach House Pictures in Singapore.
With teams in the US, Australia, Taiwan and China, the company was recently voted into Realscreen’s Global 100 most innovative and influential production companies. Producing content across a wide array of genres, an internship with BHP - one of the busiest production companies in South-East Asia - is the perfect way to pick up a breadth of experience and new knowledge.
“The internship experience was pretty incredible … It was a significant creative and professional development process for me - gaining a much more international perspective of our industry was useful, experiencing new methods of creative development within the team and participating in the researching and development process in a large company with a continuous stream of projects.”
Nicole Miller ACCESS winner 2016.
But wait… there’s more.
For the first time, AIDC is partnering with Sheffield Doc/Fest to offer a second ACCESS participant the opportunity for a one-week expenses paid trip to the world's leading documentary festival in the United Kingdom in June 2018. The lucky participant will have the chance to shadow international and local industry professionals throughout the prestigious festival, and get a taste of how to navigate international festivals and markets.
HOW TO APPLY
Application is an easy two-step process.
Please send a one-minute video to AIDC that can convince us why you would be perfect for our ACCESS program. This can be sent via Dropbox or secure Vimeo link to email@example.com.
Simply fill out the 2018 ACCESS free Submission Form here to give us some more information about who you are and your interests. Please note, you will also be able to upload your most recent CV. You can download a sample of the questions here.
KEY INFORMATION & DATES
Application closing date: January 12, 2018
Successful applicants notified: January 22, 2018
ACCESS Program dates: 4-7 March, 2018
Enquiries and applications submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Career is defined as:
- Having worked professionally in the film industry for less than five years;
- Having at least one screen credit - of any kind, in any genre, including commercial work - that has either been broadcast and/or screened at a recognised film festival;
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age
There is no submission fee, however, successful applicants are required to be a registered conference delegate and will automatically be eligible for the All Access Pass at the early bird discount rate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Submitted videos must be no longer than one minute. Applications submitted with longer videos will not be considered.
- Interstate ACCESS candidates who are selected to participate must pay their own way to attend and register for the 2017 conference. (If you live interstate and you are successful, we encourage you to contact your state agency for travel support.)
- Successful applicants will purchase a discounted registration at $726AUD (incl. GST).
- The successful internship candidate will be selected by representatives of Beach House Pictures and AIDC, and their decision will be final.
- One (1) return economy airfare to Singapore will be provided to the successful candidate departing from their closest capital city within one year of winning the internship as well as accommodation, a travel card and a stipend.
- The winner of the Sheffield Doc/Fest trip will be decided upon by the mentors in consultation with AIDC. Sheffield Doc/Fest will provide one pass for the festival. This pass will not provide access to the Meet Market.
- In order to be eligible for financial support for flights and accommodation in the UK, the candidate must be Australian. The candidate’s state agency will provide travel assistance to finance flights and accommodation while in Sheffield.
- By submitting your application AIDC’s ACCESS program, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. AIDC reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.